It’s been nearly three months since our last post, and so much has happened since then. To give you a quick list of the major events of our project:
- Incubation: We were selected as one of the finalists for the Business Bout, a competition run by The Thrill Mill, a Pittsburgh not-for-profit that wants to get involved with the booming start-up season. Our reward was a full-year of incubation, which includes free rent, legal support, and access to the business “in-crowd” in Pittsburgh. Suffice to say, we’re pretty ecstatic about that. Our participation was even recently featured in the Pittsburgh Business Times, among other news outlets.
- Incorporation: With the security of incubation, we moved forward and finally became incorporated in the state of Delaware on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of this year. However, we remain fully committed to exercising our business here in Pennsylvania and contributing to the local and state economy.
- Identification: We changed our name. Formerly (and informally) known as “Academica” from Startup Weekend, we changed the name to Scholar Hero and incorporated as “Scholar Hero, Inc.”
The last one needs a bit more elaboration. In a sentence, we wanted to be search-friendly, and masquerading under a “.me” domain wasn’t helping our chances. Some people complained that they couldn’t find us, and others even wondered if we wanted to be found. Thus, we went back to basics and collectively came up with a name that encapsulated our mission completely: Scholar Hero.
Our “Prime Directives” remain the same:
- Create a space for scholars to collaborate in a positive and potentially fun manner
- Reduce some of the excessive, sometimes exploitative costs that come with participating in the academy
- Make the overall life of the scholar a much more manageable one
We also have a few more productivity goals that we aim to hit:
- To go into private beta by June 2013 at the absolute latest (we’ll create a wait-list for this very soon)
- To go into public beta by September 2013, meaning we’ll be accessible to everyone
- To do at least a weekly post (now that we have your attention) on this blog
So what does it mean to be a Scholar Hero? Follow our site or get in touch with us and we’ll find out together. We’ve got a lot of work to do, and if you’re willing to join us, contact us here. We’re looking to fill a lot of positions and maybe increase our partnerships, which you can find out about at our Careers page.
“Let’s get hustlin’.”
Founder and Executive Director